Feature requests

General FreeNATS related discussion for suggestions, ideas for use etc...
paullanders

Feature requests

Post by paullanders » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:38 pm

Hi Dave.

This thread may become a little disjointed, but here are a few things that would be cool:

1. Global configuration options. For example, I realized I had accidentally set "At All Times" for the test schedule on numerous nodes and I had to change them all individually.

2. Global overview of nodes, i.e. perhaps a spreadsheet-like layout of all nodes and their configuration on a single screen.

3. UDP testing

4. Alerts based on time of day. For example, if a node fails between 6:00 am and midnight then alert group A, but if it fails between midnight and 6:00 a.m. then alert group B. I realize this can be done currently using the scheduling and exceptions, but making it a little more simplified would be nice.

Thanks again for such a great piece of work!

dave
Site Admin

Re: Feature requests

Post by dave » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:17 pm

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the home of disjointed threads and random answers ;)
paullanders wrote: 1. Global configuration options. For example, I realized I had accidentally set "At All Times" for the test schedule on numerous nodes and I had to change them all individually.
Do you mean you want the ability to set any settings over ALL nodes or have the ability to update a selected group of nodes en-masse? Either way this would be quite difficult and the range of options limited as the more complex ones aren't really suited to global settings.

What I keep meaning to do is document some quick SQL commands you can issue through the SQL console (enablable in the admin console) to do a group update. In this case you could just do:

Code: Select all

SELECT scheduleid FROM fnnode WHERE nodeid="workingnode"
To see what the numeric schedule id is for the schedule you want (or look in the admin pages) then do a...

UPDATE fnnode SET scheduleid=X WHERE nodeid IN("node1","node2","node3")
to update specific nodes or

UPDATE fnnode SET scheduleid=X WHERE 1
to update all nodes onto the schedule

At some point I'll really document this better so people can figure out their own bulk updates.
paullanders wrote: 2. Global overview of nodes, i.e. perhaps a spreadsheet-like layout of all nodes and their configuration on a single screen.
Should be fairly straightforward - I'll let you know when I finally get round to it.
paullanders wrote: 3. UDP testing
Okey doke. The only reason I never did this as-yet is I was toying with the idea of being able to specify a datagram to send and an optional response to check and so never got around to it. Would a simple can open port check (like TCP currently is) suffice?
paullanders wrote: 4. Alerts based on time of day. For example, if a node fails between 6:00 am and midnight then alert group A, but if it fails between midnight and 6:00 a.m. then alert group B. I realize this can be done currently using the scheduling and exceptions, but making it a little more simplified would be nice.
If I was putting this in as a customisation right now then I would actually code it as a message queue event handler or rather two handlers which could then be configured to only fire at certain times but this is not straightforward and even if I were to write the handlers for you would require code modifications to change the time for example. To do it with exceptions would require you to have two duplicate nodes on two schedules which would be a bit of a nightmare to say the least!

So... Linking alert actions to a schedule would be simple enough I think as I can just reuse all the same checking functions the node uses. You'd have a global set of schedules but could of course create different ones for nodes and alerts to use or share them. Added to the ToDo list.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Cheers,

Dave.

paullanders

Post by paullanders » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:25 pm

Thanks, Dave! These are just wish-list items, so take your time. I vote for UDP (simple port test like TCP/IP) at the top of the list.

Paul

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:38 pm

Hokey Cokey Dokey:

UDP Connection tests and scheduled alert actions (suggestions 3 and 4) are now implemented in 1.01.0a on onward.

I'm now updating the wiki.

Cheers,

Dave.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:00 pm

1.00.1a has a tabular summary of key node configurations (suggestion 2) in Configuration -> Nodes where you should find a "Configuration" summary link under the node list.

Cheers,

Dave.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:49 pm

Just to let you know but the request made in this post for alert closed messages to be customisable has been implemented in 1.01.2a. You need to set a site.text.closed variable (not yet in the defaults) via the Configuration - System Admin - Variables page.

Cheers,

Dave.

paullanders

Post by paullanders » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:49 pm

Cool! Thanks!