Global test interval

The forum for help and support with FreeNATS as well as any useful hints and tips
paullanders

Global test interval

Post by paullanders » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:57 pm

Hi Dave.

Is there a way to change the global test interval from 5 minutes to a shorter interval?

Thanks!

dave
Site Admin

Re: Global test interval

Post by dave » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:28 pm

Hi Paul,

There isn't a global test interval as such - the test script runs as often as you configure (usually every minute). Once a node is tested when it is next tested is determined by the "test interval" setting of the specific node.

If the interval is 0 the node will always be tested (even if you run your test script every 2 seconds). If the interval is > 0 then the next due time is set for interval X 60 - 30 seconds (30 seconds taken off in case the next run schedule is slightly earlier than this one is calculating times).

The default (set in the database schema) for the field (fnnode.testinterval) is 5 so newly created nodes (or ones from a v0 upgrade) will have 5 set as their interval.

You can update/change this in a few ways

Mass update configured nodes

You can do a mass update by issuing an SQL command. The system variable site.admin.enablesql needs to be set to 1. You will then see an "SQL Console" link in System Settings from which you can issue SQL commands directly.

To update all nodes which are currently set to 5 to 1 (i.e. those that you haven't otherwise manually specified) you would use the following command:

Code: Select all

update fnnode set testinterval=1 where testinterval=5
Or to quickly update a range of nodes you know the nodeids of without having to go into each one in turn:

Code: Select all

update fnnode set testinterval=1 where nodeid in("node1","node2","node3")
Change the Default

The DB schema can be updated to change the default for new nodes though this would only apply upon creation and would be overwritten every time you did a schema update.

There's no reason why I can't implement a system variable for the default interval though (at least for nodes created through the web interface not the bulk importer) if you think this would be some use?

Cheers,

Dave.

paullanders

Post by paullanders » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:51 pm

Thanks, Dave.

The sql change was a breeze! Yes, I think having a global environment variable field would be nice. Thanks!

BTW - I still love the Freenats. It's great!

Paul

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:12 pm

Hi,

No problem. I'll add it to the ToDo list, especially as you still love FreeNATS in the morning :D

As you should be no doubt already aware through the wonders of direct email as a forum poster (and the 100th support post maker!!) you have received a (very overdue) top quality digital-image-art prize. Unless some misguided mail filter has categorised it as spam of course.

For everyone else here is a low-res replica of Paul's prize - showing never-before-seen backend publishing code and some testing in different browsers/OSs. Wow.

I'll let you know when it's implemented.

Cheers,

Dave.