Freenats install issues on Debian Etch

The forum for help and support with FreeNATS as well as any useful hints and tips
paullanders

Freenats install issues on Debian Etch

Post by paullanders » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:03 pm

These are a few issues that I ran into when installing 0.04 (on Debian Etch):

1. Even after populating "base/config.inc.php" with MySQL server, username, password and database settings, the firstrun.php script was unable to create the freenats mysql database. I created the database manually and then firstrun.php was able to populate it.

BTW - I noticed there is no new mysql user created. Must I leave my admin credentials permanently in config.inc.php?

2. On Debian Etch, when installing php5 the additional packages php5-cli and php5-gd are not automatically installed and must be installed manually.

3. Discovered that the run-parts script will not run any scripts or files with a dot in their name (at least not on Debian Etch; not sure about other distros). Removing the dot resolved that issue.

dave
Site Admin

Re: Freenats install issues on Debian Etch

Post by dave » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:59 pm

Hi there - thanks for your feedback!
paullanders wrote: 1. Even after populating "base/config.inc.php" with MySQL server, username, password and database settings, the firstrun.php script was unable to create the freenats mysql database. I created the database manually and then firstrun.php was able to populate it.

BTW - I noticed there is no new mysql user created. Must I leave my admin credentials permanently in config.inc.php?
I'm afraid the install script doesn't create a database or user. At some point I'm going to do a nicey-nicey installer for it (honest I will, eventually) which may well handle all of this as well as web-based configuration (i.e. it will create your config.inc.php file). For the moment though you need to already have created your database (and user if you wish to use a seperate one - as you rightly say using admin is not such a good idea).

(Sorry if you already know this but...) You can create a user for the database as follows:

Code: Select all

# mysql -u root -p
mysql> grant all on FREENATS_DB.* to 'username'@'localhost' identified by 'somesecret';
You should then be able to use username/somesecret to connect. Note if you get a connection refused try changing the server between 127.0.0.1 and localhost
paullanders wrote: 2. On Debian Etch, when installing php5 the additional packages php5-cli and php5-gd are not automatically installed and must be installed manually.
Ok thanks. Again a proper installer will do environmental tests and let you know if anything is missing up-front. I'll also check the requirements and make sure the various PHP ones are up-to-date.
paullanders wrote: 3. Discovered that the run-parts script will not run any scripts or files with a dot in their name (at least not on Debian Etch; not sure about other distros). Removing the dot resolved that issue.
Really? Weeeeeird (though there is probably some ultra-sound reason for it). Works fine for me and it's the first time I've heard about it - thanks for the heads up. I'll update the install docs to just have a dotless filename.

Cheers,

Dave.

paullanders

Post by paullanders » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:39 pm

Yeah, from the run-parts man page:

run-parts runs all the executable files named within constraints described below, found in directory directory. Other files and directo‐
ries are silently ignored.

If the --lsbsysinit option is not given then the names must consist entirely of upper and lower case letters, digits, underscores, and
hyphens.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:57 pm

Aha! Thanks for the update. I have updated the wiki docs and will do the original docs also to just remove the .sh from the monitor and cleanup script suggested named.

Thanks again,

Dave.