VM in VirtualBox

The forum for help and support with FreeNATS as well as any useful hints and tips
duckdive99

VM in VirtualBox

Post by duckdive99 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:54 pm

I would prefer to use VirtualBox for running the VM of FreeNATS. But I seem to get an error when trying to run it.

Has anyone else set up the FreeNATS VM with VirtualBox? How did you get it working?

John

dave
Site Admin

Re: VM in VirtualBox

Post by dave » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:59 pm

Hi,

Sorry I don't run Virtual Box or know of anyone using the VMWare VM with it as a host.

I see online there are a few different ways to run a VMWare image in Virtual Box though; converting the disk or importing it directly into Virual Box.

Can I ask:
- which method are you using to import/convert?
- what error are you getting and at what stage?
- what is your host environment?
- what version/revision of Virtual Box are you running?

Also I see most the instructions mention VMWare Workstation images. FreeNATS is created with VMWare Server not VMWare Workstation though I believe these images should be interchangable.

Regards,

Dave.

duckdive99

Post by duckdive99 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:27 pm

Can I ask:
- which method are you using to import/convert?
I'm not converting. Usually VirtualBox can just boot vmdk's without any issue.
- what error are you getting and at what stage?
I'm getting two errors (found using interactive).
1. Start service amd Failed. Line 79 1564 Alarm clock
2. Failed eth0. Not present. (but the VirtualBox has a network adapter assigned, and I've tried other types.)
- what is your host environment?
Windows 7 64bit.
- what version/revision of Virtual Box are you running?
ver 4. Latest.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:34 pm

Hi,

Ok I've now had a chance to stick Virtual Box on a PC and have a play.

As you found the networking adapter on 4b doesn't detect or work. I did have a quick look at this but not too deeply as the rPath LAMP is not very featured with auto-config or setup stuff (it's just designed to use the standard VMWare virtualised hardware).

However I have got the new trial VM (5 RC1) working fine.

Details and a download link for VM5 RC1 are at http://www.purplepixie.org/freenats/wik ... ce_5_Trial

I just created a new machine of type Linux/Ubuntu, the few issues I did have and resolve are:

- for it to boot the hard disc needs to be moved to be the IDE Master (even though it was setup as SCSI in VMWare GRUB fails to boot it as SAS), boots fine as IDE
- first boot with NAT networking came up ok but when I changed this to bridged and rebooted it didn't get an IP address. However on this time I manually restarted networking which got an address and all times subsequent it has got a DHCP address and worked fine (first timy maybe a glitch or just a brief result of the change of adapter)
- Once it wouldn't start giving me a lock error on a Virtual Box config file. I think this is VB rather than FreeNATS and a host reboot solved the problem

I did try an "import" as the 5 appliance has the correct file but this failed on allocating space, I think because it tried to allocate all 64Gb of disc and the test machine didn't have enough free space. Anyway just creating a new appliance and adding the hard disc (above) seems to work ok.

I hope this resolves your issue. VM 5 RC1 is still undergoing testing (and of course your feedback is welcome) but does seem pretty stable. I anticipate that the TurnKey appliance will definitely be the basis for the VM5 full release (and all the FreeNATS features work and you can easily update it).

Hope that's ok.

Dave.

andyj

Post by andyj » Thu May 12, 2011 6:45 pm

The download seems to have errors - cannot open zip file - error in zip.
Any further news on VB support?