Attaching a schedule to a single Alert

The forum for help and support with FreeNATS as well as any useful hints and tips
kurt.oconnor

Attaching a schedule to a single Alert

Post by kurt.oconnor » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:38 pm

It is mentioned in the documentation that it is possilbe to assign a schedule to an Alert but I fail to see where or how to accomplish this within the web interface. I only see one location to assign a schedule and that is to the Node Test Schedule and there only one can be assigned. I want to setup different alerts to run at different times and email different people for the same test. Thanks.

dave
Site Admin

Re: Attaching a schedule to a single Alert

Post by dave » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:36 am

Hi there,

Yes this is possible. Schedules are set on each individual alert action (http://www.purplepixie.org/freenats/wiki/Alerts).

If you want to have two different alerts, for example email Bob between 0800 and 1800 and Alice from 1800 overnight to 0800:

- create two schedules (under Test and Alert Schedules in System Administration) - one from 0800 to 1800 then another from 0000 to 0800 and 1800 to 2359
- create two alert actions, one to email Bob and set the schedule to the 0800-1800 one and one to email Alice with the other schedule
- assign this alert action to any nodes you wish

I hope this is ok?

Regards,

Dave.

kurt.oconnor

Post by kurt.oconnor » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Haha, I NEW it was right in front of me! Thank you so much, I hate when I do that. Spend hours and hours looking at something and its right in front of you the whole time. I had already set the schedule on the Alert, but I forgot/missed it, I don't know, I am so blind sometimes. Thank you so much for putting up with such an obvious question.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:45 pm

No problem - always glad to have a question I can actually answer!!

There are no stupid questions.

Cheers,

Dave.