Can I run FreeNATS on Windows?

The forum for help and support with FreeNATS as well as any useful hints and tips
say2paul

Can I run FreeNATS on Windows?

Post by say2paul » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:34 pm

Can I run FreeNATS on Windows 2000 or XP ?

If yes then how, can someone please let me know the steps to install the same.

dave
Site Admin

Re: Can I run FreeNATS on Windows?

Post by dave » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:20 pm

Hi Paul,

Sorry but in a word no.

This has been discussed before here and here (this one even featuring a screenshot of running under Windows 2003).

In theory there's no reason why most core functionality shouldn't work but things like threaded testing and certain support features like the upgrade script wouldn't. When tested things like IMAP just seemed to fail for no reason at all as well.

If you're really stuck on it and feeling adventurous or very very bored then these are the steps to follow:
  • download a release

extract it from the tarball (I would have thought Winzip or WinRAR might read .tar.gz files if not you might need tar after unzipping - or just untarball and then zip on a unix host)

You will need to have a PHP-enabled web server (such as apache with the module or, shudder, IIS with extensions) and PHP available on the command-line

Configure the server/web directory to be served by the web server
    Create a MySQL database available and configure and install it as described in the Database Setup section of this document (note the MySQL database doesn't have to be local to the server)

Browse to the web interface and see if it works

If it does set a scheduled job using whatever Windoze witchcraft you desire to do "php -q tester.php" executed with the current directory as server/bin (n.b. don't use test-threaded, that won't work at all)

Sit back, have a drink and try and see what works and what doesn't
Though seriously... I wouldn't bother.

Sorry can't offer a better solution.

Cheers,

Dave.

P.S. An entire post about Windows and not even a single rant about the registry or the sheer folly of using windows as a network server. Well, not unless you count that last sentance, which I don't.