view graph, y axis = -1

The forum for help and support with FreeNATS as well as any useful hints and tips
wolfgang

view graph, y axis = -1

Post by wolfgang » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:06 pm

Hi,

Have a other issue. What does it mean, only on 2 URLs tests (all the other servers tests ocal are ok), after I loose the ethernet connection, the graph disappears in view page, but does not reappear (even after ethernet connection is established again (all other servers display again correctly) and the y axis on graph says -1

I am getting the feeling, that maybe my freenats virtual machine is damaged? Never had this problem before and also that your custom test does not show up in the pull down menu.....any idea what is causing this or what could I check?

Thanks,Wolfgang

dave
Site Admin

Re: view graph, y axis = -1

Post by dave » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:44 pm

Hi wolfgang,

Sorry for the delay in response - I've been on holiday :D

Hmm... I think the graph not appearing is because it's got some data it doesn't like - do the actual axes appear?

You can see all the data being displayed in text form below if you select it. Perhaps you could do this - so all the results are shown with their values then save this HTML page with images and send it to my email?

I don't think your freenats is corrupt although it is very strange the test isn't integrating either. The test problem is on my to-do list to check out and I should have something for you to check in the next day or so.

Regards,

Dave.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:18 am

Also on the issue of your custom test not being included - go into system settings then system information.

What is shown under "Registered Test Modules" please - do you see one:

Name: Page Load Simulator
Provides: loadsim
Revision: 2
Description: Page Load Simulator

in that list?

Regards,

Dave.

wolfgang

Post by wolfgang » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:33 pm

Hi Dave,

Hope you had a good and interesting holiday!

The load sim does not show up under the test modules. I have a copy of the same vm installed in Montreal (with some modified tests), if needed I can give you access and you can log in.

Made screenshot of the history for the not displaying tests, will send you.

Thanks, Wolfgang

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:41 pm

Hi,

Yes great holiday thanks - just a shame to be back at work.

Remote access would be the easiest way for me to check - any chance of shell as well as web so I can run from the command-line?

Cheers,

Dave.

wolfgang

Post by wolfgang » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:20 am

Hi Dave,

Cause found. As usual you have been completely right. 2 reasons.

That there was no Alarm with negative result, is fixed with adding "Less then 0 = failure"

That Sometimes test with FQDN fail, is to do that Vmware seems to have a problem with DNS when NAT is selected.
See: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/119417 and http://communities.vmware.com/thread/84077 , seems to be a very old problem and is still not fixed. In threads a restart of the NAT service fixes the problem....well not a real solution when you do not know when it will happen.
My work around, seems to be only possible if you use Vmware Workstation, in Vmware Workstation got to Edit - Virtual Network Editor - NAT - Edit - DNS - and with Add , add manually your DNS server, depending on what kind of tests you do, maybe the selection of a bigger DNS timeout is advisable.

Problem was found as suggested from you to use in freenats wget for the URL in question, showed that no DNS server was found, to download with coronary the traceroute did not work because, Coronary needs also DNS. The interesting part is when you check with cat /etc/resolv.conf , it shows you the internal IP of your host PC....but it still does not resolve, except ypu have the manually set DNS server.

As this seems to be not a constant problem with Vmware, i assume this happens only with some specific network configuration, like in my case i use the HSDPA modem to get internet, this is a PPTP dialup connection on OS level...this may cause this more frequent to occure.

Have this part now working! :-)

Thanks a lot! freeNATs rocks ! Wolfgang

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:53 am

Hi,

Aha! Well glad you got to the bottom of it.

That "use me as a DNS server" is quite common for a lot of NAT appliances (routers included) and I often find their DNS service is much flakier than the "proper" alternatives.

Another thing you can always try is to remove the DNS being set by DHCP at all and configure some servers (maybe including your host machine for speed when it is working) on the client directly.

Sounds like manual DHCP setting is working for you though.

Regards,

Dave.