Node-side Monitor / Testing

The forum for help and support with FreeNATS as well as any useful hints and tips
say2paul

Node-side Monitor / Testing

Post by say2paul » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:30 pm

First of all I must thanks Dave for such a wonderful (I must say) tool you have developed. I have gone through the complete documentation and I found it really helpful.

But I am still unable to understand how to use Node-Side monitoring (May be I was week on documentation part). If I call http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/freenats/node/po ... s-node.php then I can see an XML file in which I can see almost all data for my server which can be really useful. I really do not know how to use this XML file.

I have enabled Node-Side Testing and made it Pull enabled by adding http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/freenats/node/po ... s-node.php URL in it. But again I do not know what next I mean what to do now,

1. How can I use Node-Side Testing/Monitoring ?
2. I can see "Catalogue : 0 Node-Side Monitors" what does this 0 meant for and how can I configure Catalogue?
3. In "Add Node-side Monitor" there is no option available in the combo box (it is blank) where I can add, please help.

Note* I have installed the FreeNATS on Red Hat Enterprise 4 and PHP 4

dave
Site Admin

Re: Node-side Monitor / Testing

Post by dave » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:48 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for your kind comments - I'm glad you find the system useful.

I don't think you've missed anything from the documentation - as you've guessed basically all you should need to do is put the monitor on the node and then set it to be:
a. nodeside enabled
b. pull enabled
c. entered a URL for pull

Once this is done (and saved) try using the "Debug Raw Output" option. This should show you valid XML.

The catalogue is automatically refreshed when the data is loaded from the XML so should happen after the first "pull".

If the debug option above shows valid XML try a "Refresh (Pull) Now" near the bottom of the options to fetch the data.

That should be all that is required and then you will see available tests in your list. The blank drop-down and 0 catalogue is exactly what I would expect until the first data has been pulled/pushed into the system.

I did have some problems with the default security model for my CentOS (basically RHEL) servers whereby apache couldn't see the full process list and network I/O etc etc but this didn't stop anything from happening so you should see some data.

If debug raw output (which just fires a window using the configured URL and key) works ok but you're still not getting data we'll have to try some more tests. Hopefully either that or the manual pull will give a sensible error which explains the problem.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards,

Dave.

say2paul

Post by say2paul » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:22 am

Thanks a ton Dave for prompt reply. I tried what you asked for and still unable to get the desired results.

The URL I've entered for pull is http://127.0.0.1/freenats/node/posix/freenats-node.php as I thought loop back address will do.

FYI the server cannot access the outer world i.e. Internet, but it is accessible from internet. I'll pm the details with you so that you can check (if possible, I know here m asking for free support which at times is not possible) by yourself as you are the best one to judge cose you are the one who have designed this system.

say2paul

Post by say2paul » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:34 am

<header>
<name>FreeNATS Posix Node XML</name>
<version>0.04</version>
</header>

<test NAME="fnn.version">
<name>fnn.version</name>
<desc>FreeNATS Node Version</desc>
<value>0.04</value>
<alertlevel>0</alertlevel>
</test>
This is what I am getting at the very first line of XML file. I am using FreeNATS v 1.04.6b but the XML file displays version 0.04, is it OK?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:37 am

Hi,

Yes that is the version of the nodeside script rather than FreeNATS itself.

I've just logged onto your server and all looks fine... apart from it not working.

Got to go out now but I'll get another look at it this evening and chase through the code.

The only thing I can possibly think of (though why no error is forthcoming I don't know) is virtual hosting for apache i.e. 127.0.0.1 gives different results from xx.xx.xx.xx.

Can you maybe try a wget (if you have it installed) or a lynx or firefox (if you have X on that server) to the 127.0.0.1 URL shown in debug raw output directly from the server and see what comes out?

Otherwise I will get a look this evening.

Regards,

Dave.

say2paul

Post by say2paul » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:18 am

Thanks Dave, The server is placed at remote location and I can only access port 80 of the server. I do have configured X (and have Firefox) on the server but I can only access that from internal network i.e. tomorrow morning.

Meanwhile if possible you can look for an alternate by today evening so that I can get the alerts/monitor configured and up by tomorrow.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:15 pm

Hi,

I don't actually think that will yield anything. I've had a play as best I can and it is finding the output ok - for example if I rename the path to generate a 404 it gives a fetch error.

Unfortunately I think the problem may lie with the XML parsing and this might be linked to the server being PHP4. Again though I can't see any errors at all in the logs.

Because your system doesn't have internet access I can't try and poll XML from one of my servers instead but I am sure it is being generated correctly but failing on the import (but without any error).

To diagnose further I'll really need to get under the hood - would it be possible to arrange shell access? I don't need root/sudo access and although it would be preferable neither do I need outgoing internet access from the box.

Am obviously happy to maybe do something via desktop sharing so I can be monitored depending on time-zones (I am on GMT+1) and your organisational security policy.

Other than that I can do you a special debug release of the import script to load on as a second option which should generate some better information.

I'll be in my organisation's office Monday or Tuesday so should be able to find some time with a decent (non GPRS) internet connection.

Sorry I can't be any more help for the moment!

Regards,

Dave.

say2paul

Post by say2paul » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:28 pm

Thanks Dave for kind support. I'm sorry but my organisation does not allow any other port than 80 on WAN, they are very strict at security policies.

We can go with the workaround that you suggest i.e. special debug release (even I guess the problem is due to PHP 4). I'll be in office just after 11 hours i.e. 9:30 am (Indian Standard TIme IST), and I'll be having access to SSH and VNC (LAN access) as well so I can help sharing the files you would like me to.

I am really sorry that you are providing support under such restrictive conditions, I really appreciate your efforts.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:20 pm

Hi,

Please see your email for a replacement node.xml.inc.php file to help debugging.

Regards,

Dave.