Email Setup

The forum for help and support with FreeNATS as well as any useful hints and tips
bsemingson

Re: Email Setup

Post by bsemingson » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:19 pm

I resolved my issues with a reinstall. This is what I think happened. On my initial install, I set up nodes and an alert to email but did not set FreeNATS to relay email. When I could not get emails going I looked into the rPath environment. In rPath I did set up mail relay (I was incorrect earlier when I said I did not have Mail Relay set). While I was in there, I updated rPath and I believe the update removed some or all of the php components and affected or deleted the tester.sh file. When I ran "Which php" and "php -v", the reply was "Command not found". The reply from ./tester.sh freenats was "File not found".

I may have done the update improperly, I did not note my procedure.

I reinstalled and set up the relay in rPath and FreeNATS and the FreeNATS is performing perfectly.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:22 pm

Great - I'm glad to hear it's working. Even gladder to hear it doesn't seem to have been some horrific bug or problem of my making (which is a change!).

I have no idea why the rPath update process would delete php. It's very odd. I'll have to keep an eye on it and keep testing here.

Just checking but I presume when you say reinstall you had to just replace the entire VM with a vanilla one and not just reinstall anything onto the existing VM?

Anyway - I hope you find it useful now it's working!

Cheers,

Dave.

bsemingson

Post by bsemingson » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:46 pm

Thank you for your help! I did replace the entire VM with a vanilla one. I will also say the tool works great. I'm a one man show for a small company and the setup of FreeNATS was very easy and fast (as long as Users read the instructions).

bps

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:45 pm

Excellent - glad you like it.

Some day I'll do a proper "install wizard" type of thing to specifically ask all those questions up front. Some day.

Cheers,

Dave.

mbuchholz

Post by mbuchholz » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:36 am

I haven't been having any luck with getting my Freenats VM to send me an email alert. Tryed everything I can think of. Tryed using my outside webserver to send the emails through. it never gives me an error but I never get the email. any ideas would be apprieciated.

Thanks

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:50 am

Hi,

Does your VM have internet access? The default mail system uses direct mail delivery so it must be able to perform a DNS MX lookup on the domain and also connect to the remote host.

Have you tried using SMTP delivery? You can set an SMTP server to relay though? I'm not sure if this is what you mean by "used your outside webserver".

Please just let me know exactly what your setup is, if the box has internet access and if applicable your ISP SMTP relay and I can suggest some things to try.

Regards,

Dave.