Single (non)-failures - only alert in 3 fails in a row

The forum for help and support with FreeNATS as well as any useful hints and tips
eike

Single (non)-failures - only alert in 3 fails in a row

Post by eike » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:56 am

Hi Dave,

I stumbled across your system and test-installed it and I really like it. We're using a windows based system which has a lot of flaws and problems and I really like FreeNATS more.

There is one thing I haven't found yet that I would really need.

We're having (not sure why, but its non-critical) loss of pings or failures of requests sometimes without being critital. I am looking for an option to only alert if a request fails x times in a row, otherwise stay on green.

Is there any option I missed? If not, I would think about adding it myself, but have not looked at the sources yet.

Kudos and greetings
Eike

dave
Site Admin

Re: Single (non)-failures - only alert in 3 fails in a row

Post by dave » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:08 am

Hi Eike,

Glad you're finding the system useful and thanks for getting in touch.

I believe what you're after is the test attempts option? http://www.purplepixie.org/freenats/wiki/Tests#Attempts

For the ICMP "ping host" option then this is a system-wide configuration option: http://www.purplepixie.org/freenats/wik ... p.attempts

Please note that these are immediate loops e.g. if the node interval is 5 minutes you might think with test attempts 3 it would try, wait 5 min, try, wait 5 min, try and only then fail but no - it'll loop the test immediately.

So it's worth experimenting with values here, especially the ICMP one (as there's little to no overhead for it).

I've seen settings for people with flaky network links that want to be absolutely sure of a failure in the 100s for the ICMP attempts.

I hope that helps - let me know how you get on and of course if there's anything else I can help with.

Regards,

Dave.

eike

Post by eike » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:09 pm

Hi Dave,

thanks for your help, the information was very helpful. The "Attempts" is exactly what I need. Is there a setting for node side tests too?

I'm planning to install the system here in the next weeks, so it may take a while until I'll ask for more things ;-)

Regards,
Eike

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:45 pm

Hi,

Glad that worked and sorry for the delay in replying.

It's been a while so I had to dig through the code and there is no retry option for nodeside tests.

This does seem like a logical option to have though I think so I've added it to the ToDo list for FreeNATS: http://www.purplepixie.org/freenats/wiki/ToDo

I can't be sure when this will get done though (probably not for a while). However if you find it a major problem I can up the priority of the fix and/or offer you a short-term non-configurable solution.

Kind regards,

Dave.