Feature idea

Technical chat for the techies and development testers
paullanders

Feature idea

Post by paullanders » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:25 pm

Hi Dave!

FreeNATS was a lifesaver this past week as we had some substantial routing issues on our LAN. I was able to monitor the status of our hosts in near real time and it was a good feeling! As I was watching things go up and down I was thinking how cool it would be to click a link on an unreachable host to do an immediate trace-route.

Thanks.

Paul

dave
Site Admin

Re: Feature idea

Post by dave » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:52 pm

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like you're getting some real-world benefit from the system. Wow!

Ok... traceroute. I did think of it before at one point. There are a few issues around how to make it web-script-friendly as well as authorisation for low-level sockets if I do it directly. But as I've pretty much given up on ever making it Win32 native I could just wrap the command-line traceroute like the SMB test does with smbclient.

A few other ideas have been on the back burner with regard to letting people put their own VNC/Telnet/RDP/whatever links on individual nodes to easily access network management. I'll have a ponder about getting these going and slotting traceroute in as one of the options.

Cheers,

Dave.

amedias

Re: Feature idea

Post by amedias » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:34 pm

I'll second the telnet/VNC/rdp idea! that would be really handy.

We've recently implemented a freenats install (v1.07) to monitor internal infrastructure nodes and various customer facing services, it's proving to be really handy and much quicker to add and configure nodes than our Nagios install for when we dont need full on SNMP.

Matt